Taktouka November 10, 2019 – Posted in: Uncategorized
For this very popular and traditional Moroccan salad use a variety of green chiles, rather than green bell peppers, which adds a spicy note to taktouka, depending on the chiles you use. You'll need to roast and skin your peppers before you use them in the recipe, or you can simply use jarred roasted peppers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into julienne strips
- 2 roasted green chiles, cut into julienne strips (Anaheim, poblano, or pasilla)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish pimentón (smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder or cayenne
- 1 heaping tablespoon preserved lemon rind, finely minced See Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, for garnish
In a medium sauté pan, on medium heat, add the olive oil and chopped tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes to soften. Add the chile strips, garlic, cilantro, spices, and preserved lemon rind.
Stir over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and let stand at room temperature, uncovered. Some of this mixture will be used as a filling for the savory Sweet Potato-Taktouka Tart. You can also serve taktouka warm or cold as a spread with crusty bread. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.